Thursday 7 March 2013

Brand flat piece

img1.ranker.com
When I had had a discussion about potential body modification elements to the Hunter Orc design with both Charlie and John they had expressed an interest in having some form of brand on the shoulder. Charlie had mentioned an idea that he had in mind for the shape that he promised to send over to me for development. When the image arrived, however, it was not at all what I had been expecting. Charlie explained that he really liked the shape of the helmet and wanted to find a way to incorporate similar vertical spikes into the design for the brand. Obviously this design was far too complex to be made into a flat piece and would need a great deal of simplification, but I agreed to give it a go. The design that I came up with was still potentially quite ambitious for a flat piece as it contained a lot of smaller areas of detail, Charlie however was very happy with what I had drawn out so I resolved to give the sculpture of the flat piece my best attempt, and if it transpired that it needed to be simplified further, I would do so.

www.propstore.com
I really struggled trying to find some form of image reference for the appearance of my brand as, although modern scarification is becoming more popular, there was nothing that I could see that particularly resembled a more traditional brand burn. I did, however, know that I would be able to find a good make-up reference courtesy of 'Angels and Demons' which features four different brands across the chests of some of the characters. There is very little information available regarding these particular make-ups, especially who they were created by, although that it would appear that the SFX team was headed up by David Leroy Anderson and Tony Gardner. The chest piece worn by the cardinal branded with the 'air' symbol is currently on sale for £439.00 although it gives no specific details other than the piece was made of foam latex and covered the entire front of the torso.

When it came to sculpting my flat piece I found that I had perhaps been too ambitious with my design as a number of the particularly thin sections did not seem to work at all, making it necessary to simplify the design slightly. I did initially attempt to mimic the internal texture of burnt flesh, however, after only doing a small section I knew that I would not be happy with how it looked. I decided instead to make the flat piece merely with the outer shape and to fill in the central areas with gelatine once the piece had been applied to produce the desired texture.  For the external texture of the skin I just used a small piece of sandpaper as I normally would to break up the smooth surface a little and then went ahead to make the silicone mould.

No comments:

Post a Comment